Do you have your own vegetable garden? How about if you plant Romanesco this year? You can find out how to do this here.
Green cauliflower variety
Growing vegetables in your own garden is something really fine. Anyone who has already done this will clearly taste the difference to the vegetables they buy and will always want to try new things. For many amateur gardeners, Romanesco is at the top. Cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts are common vegetables. Why not try something else? Romanesco not only tastes delicious, it also looks very nice in the bed. It is a green type of cauliflower. Because of its bizarre shape, it is often called turret cauliflower.
Planting romanesco - step by step instructions
- So that you can also harvest abundantly and the vegetables develop splendidly, you should prefer the Romanesco in growing soil and separate pots. The Romanesco will come out at the end of July.
- Add a generous amount of compost to the bedding. Make sure that there is a minimum distance of 60 centimeters between the individual plants, as the plants become very expansive.
- It is ideal to also use vegetable fertilizer when you see the heads forming.
- Otherwise, you must always water the Romanesco sufficiently and protect it from direct sunlight on hot days.
- You can then harvest your Romanesco from September, depending on when you started sowing.
Before you prepare the Romanesco, you should briefly put it in cold salt water so that any dirt is washed away. You can then cook the whole Romanesco in salted water for about 20 minutes. Cut the Romanesco into small florets, then you should steam them for about 15 minutes. Many eat the romanesco with melted butter, Dutch sauce or with roasted breadcrumbs. Romanesco is very rich in vitamin C and minerals. Just try this cabbage. Maybe the mild taste can convince you.