Houseplants

Keeping ivy as a houseplant - you have to keep that in mind

Pin
Send
Share
Send


Ivy is a plant that can be found in every garden. But it also grows very well indoors. However, it is not suitable as a houseplant for every household.

Ivy can also be kept as a houseplant. Ivy, the most famous and popular climbing plant, thrives not only outdoors. You can also keep it as a houseplant. For example, it brings a little color into play in shady and dark hallways. You can also use it to plant container plants with a bare stem. You just have to choose the right location and follow a few care instructions.

Ivy grows very well in low-light locations

Many apartments and houses have a disadvantage. The hallway area is often dark and does not have its own window. Accordingly, no plants can be placed here. However, this is not the case with ivy. The climber prefers shady locations that reach the sun for a short time during the day. For this reason, you can cover green areas of your home with ivy. But keep in mind: ivy is a vine that doesn't stop at the walls of a room.

If you do not want the ivy to climb your room walls, you can let the trellis grow upwards using trellises. To do this, keep the shoots around the grille so that a wide and thick spiral of green forms. Alternatively, you can also use a sisal stem as a climbing aid.

No major maintenance measures necessary

To cut:

It is important that you regularly cut the plant back inside so that it does not become too large and extensive. You do not have to pay attention to anything. Just cut as much as you want. The ivy will then sprout again.

To water:

As a houseplant, ivy is really very easy to care for. You just have to make sure that neither waterlogging nor the root ball dries out completely. Therefore, water the ivy regularly.

Fertilize:

Fertilize the indoor ivy from April to August about every two weeks by adding a little liquid fertilizer to the irrigation water. Follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Ivy is only of limited use as a houseplant

Ivy is not a poisonous plant with a fatal effect, but it causes significant skin irritation or allergic reactions. Handle the plant, so you should always wear gardening gloves. Younger ivy plants are not yet as poisonous as older plants. Therefore, if possible, choose green plants for greening rooms and put them out over time.

The vine plant is not suitable in households with small children or pets, because ivy produces berries that are toxic during flowering. Infants may be tempted to eat the berries. Pets could gnaw on the leaves or pick up the berries. But what poisons does ivy have and how do you recognize poisoning? Here is a brief overview:

  • Ivy berries contain falcarinol and alpha-hederin
  • two berries are already dangerous for children
  • Leaves and shoots cause skin irritation
  • Symptoms of poisoning: vomiting, diarrhea, burning throat
  • larger amounts of berries can lead to shock or respiratory arrest

If you suspect that your children or pets have consumed berries and there are clear signs of poisoning, you should immediately alert the poison control center.

➜ List of poison control centers and poison information centers

Pin
Send
Share
Send