The colored nettle can be skillfully rescued from the field the following year. To multiply is the magic formula.© emer - Fotolia.com
With its varied leaf colors, attractive leaf shapes and different heights, the colored nettle (Solenostemon scutellarioides) looks enchanting on herbaceous beds. The leaf jewelry plant originating from the tropics of Asia has no chance to spend the winter outdoors in our latitudes. In contrast, the colored nettle, as a container culture, survives the cold season perfectly in a bright and warm place in the house. However, the temperature in the winter hostel must be above 12 ° Celsius.
Some garden enthusiasts are sure to regret that at the end of the gardening season, the open-variegated nettle has no future prospects in the bed. But with a little skill, it can be saved over the next year. The leaf jewelry plant in the bucket should get a larger planter for the new terrace season in spring. The colored leaf plant thrives optimally and thanks you with a colorful and bushy habit.
Multiply colored nettle by cuttings
Are you particularly impressed by the Solenostemon hybrids outdoors and would you have just as attractive leaf decorations in your garden the following year? No problem: copy the colored nettle.
- In late summer you cut about 10 centimeters long, sturdy shoot tips with three pairs of leaves from your favorite leaf ornamental plants. The lower leaves are removed.
- Then put these shoots in a glass with water. As soon as roots have formed, the cuttings can be planted in pots.
- The substrate in the pots should be permeable, nutritious and moist. Mix the potting soil with plenty of compost before planting.
- After potting, place the cuttings on the windowsill in a warm room.
- Now make sure that the soil in the pots always stays moist. The substrate must not become too wet, the colored nettle quickly tends to rot.
- When the cuttings take root in their pots, they start to grow quickly.
- Occasionally cut off the shoot tips during growth, which makes the young plant bushy.
- Plant these colored nettles from cuttings outdoors as soon as the outside temperature is at least 15 ° Celsius.
➔ Tip: You can also continue cultivating the young plants in a pot for the room or in a bucket for the terrace.
Repot house and container plants© Elke Hötzel - Fotolia.com
The magnificent leafy ornamental plant shows a remarkable pace of growth, provided that it is in a bright place, gets enough nutrients and is kept regularly moist. Sometimes the leaf ornamental plant takes up more space in the pot or bucket. Then you should transplant your colorful nettles in the spring before the new shoots.
- Choose a planter with a clearly larger volume and a drain opening on the bottom. Cover the opening with a shard of clay and fill a small layer of slightly granular gravel in the pot, and coarse-grained in the bucket. The gravel layer is intended as drainage so that there is no waterlogging in the planter.
- Mix the planting substrate liberally with compost and pour part of the mixture into the pot through the drainage layer.
- Then take the colored nettle out of its old planter. You can trim the root ball and the shoots of the plant a little.
- Now check whether the plant is high enough in the larger pot. It must never be lower than before, otherwise putrefaction can form on the root neck.
- When the planting height is sufficient, fill the pot with the rest of the substrate. Finally press the soil in the planter and water the plant moderately.
➔ Tip: You can grow houseplants for several years if they are repotted regularly.
The space required for the colored nettle in the bucket can be exhausted after two years because two to three plants of different colors are usually planted for the terrace.
|1||Yukio seed house - 50 pieces plectranthus…||5 reviews||2,99 €||To the shop|
|2||Cioler 100pcs Coleus Seeds Coleus Seeds Colored…||No reviews at the moment||2,91 €||To the shop|
|3||Forskolin Coleus Forskohlii Extract 400 mg - 90 Vegans…||74 reviews||15,99 €||To the shop|
Sow new color mixture
With colored nettle seeds from the range in the garden center you can grow magnificent Solenostemon scutellarioides every year. Mostly it is colorful mixtures that hang on the shelf and protect the wallet rather than the potted young plants.
- You can sow the colored nettle in a sowing bowl in March. Use seed soil for this.
- After spreading, the seeds are not covered with soil. Colored nettles are light germs and are therefore only gently pressed on after sowing.
- Then moisten the seeds in the sowing bowl with lime-free water from the spray bottle.
- If possible, put a transparent foil bag over the sowing bowl, in which you punched a few holes beforehand.
- Now place the sowing in a bright and warm place. The room temperature should be around 22 ° Celsius.
➔ Tip: The higher the temperature and the humidity, the faster the nettle seeds germinate. As soon as the little plants show 3 leaves, they are pricked individually into pots.
Even if the colored nettle does not survive the winter outdoors, you can still enjoy the colorful splendor in the garden next year. Multiply the ornamental leaf plant with cuttings. The bushy plant thrives in the pot or in a bucket for several years if it is transplanted regularly.